Skip to main content

It’s forbidden to prostitute, abuse drug, and gamble

In January I stayed on the 17th floor of a hotel. Perhaps if my stay had been short, I would have missed it.  There, juxtaposed near each other, Eden Lost and Eden Regained. That pool and stinky canal have become the perfect image for me of this tension between loss and hope: messy, intertwined, confusing, and encouraging all at once.
Eden was lost, true. That we cannot deny or miss.
But we are not abandoned in this state. That I cannot deny, but sadly often miss.
This life of faith is like learning to dance. At my gym I attend several dance classes: Zumba, folk dance and one that is translated as “Jazz” but I call “Cool-boy-pop-dance.” The teachers are fluid and good with their bodies. They make it look easy. I believe them and follow their moves. I believe them until I look in the mirror and wonder how something so graceful and lovely can be translated into something so awkward.
Often I laugh. I’m not there to become a professional dancer but to get my heart rate up. So what if I look like a bull in a china shop? It’s all good fun.
Yet, this life of faith is like learning to dance. Our native tongue was to be that of Eden, but it was swapped for the language of Eden lost. I see Jesus’ example and the way he deals with people, so graceful and lovely and I believe I can follow his model. I believe until I look in the mirror and see and hear my awkwardness.
Signs in poor English have become triggers for me. In them I see a reflection of how I can sound as I’m learning to respeak my native tongue.
This sign is on the inside door of a hotel room I stay; I see it every time I visit and it makes me sad such a sign is necessary. Prostitute, abuse drugs, gamble.
It reeks of Eden lost. It’s easy to look at this sign and think, no problem. I don’t do those things.
Really?
Look again.
Relationships, Escape, and Money.
Well, when it’s translated like that, it hits so close to home I’m nearly knocked out. In Eden we were supposed to relate to God and others in deep, rich ways that fostered connection. How often do I prostitute a relationship and used someone for my own gain?
Eden was to be a land of pleasure and joy! How often have I used food, anger, the internet, sports, or reading in ways that resembled abusing a drug?
Eden didn’t have money, but I think there are ways to use money that can hint at what might have been in Eden. And ways to use it that are as off the mark as some of my Zumba moves. We talk of calculated risk, and to be sure, that exists (and would have in Eden too). We don’t speak often enough of the great lie credit cards want us to believe. Call it what you may, it’s closer to gambling than we think.
When I stop watching Amy-in-the-mirror and instead listen to the music and keep my eyes on the teacher, my moves may still be awkward. True. But maybe, just maybe, I’m dancing more how I will in Eden Regained.
Today, listen for your true heart language, keep your eyes on Jesus and speak as one from Eden. Speak not the language of prostitution, using drugs and gambling but of relationships, pleasure, and money. Speak the language of Eden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Biblical Rules for a Happy Marriage

A quick look at the scriptures will show you what true happiness in a marriage really means. Here are just 10 Bible verses that clue us in on how a godly marriage should work: Never bring up mistakes of the past.  Stop criticizing others or it will come back on you.  If you forgive others, you will be forgiven  ( Luke 6:37 ). Neglect the whole world rather than each other.  And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process?  ( Mark 8:36 ) Never go to sleep with an argument unsettled. And don't sin by letting anger gain control over you. Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry  ( Ephesians 4:26 ). At least once a day, try to say something complimentary to your spouse. Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit  ( Proverbs 15:4 ). Never meet without an affectionate welcome. Kiss me again and again, your love is sweeter than wine  (Song of Solomon 1:2). "F...

Urban Myths of Children's Ministry

An urban myth is a strange or surprising story that many people believe, but which is not actually true. You probably remember some you heard growing up.  Here are a few of them. Alligators in the sewers of New York City.   The myth is that someone (probably a snowbird) brought some baby alligators back from Florida and flushed them down the toilet. They ended up growing into giant gators roaming the sewers. The fake moon landing.   The myth is that NASA faked the moon landings in a movie studio. The Jedi religion form.   This myth claims that if enough people fill out "Jedi" as their religion on their census forms, the government will have to make it an official religion. Walt Disney cryogenically frozen.   The myth says his body was frozen when he died with the hopes he could possibly be brought back to life from technological advancements. It says his body is stored in a deep-freeze chamber under the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction...

Onion Juice For Hair: Benefits & How To Make

The use of  onion   juice  for  hair  growth has become a popular trend for those seeking a remedy for unexplained  hair loss .  Onion  juice, quite simply, is pressed from the onion plant, which comes in a variety of species in the  Allium  genus. One of the most widely available  vegetables  in the world, onions contain a rich supply of  vitamin C , various B-family  vitamins ,  sulfur ,  calcium ,  iron ,  potassium ,  manganese ,  phosphorus , and  magnesium , as well as other  antioxidants ,  phenolic  compounds, and  anthocyanins . This dense nutrient profile can have a number of positive effects on the body, including for hair growth. Benefits of Onion Juice for Hair Growth The top benefits of using onion juice  include  its ability to  moisturize  the  skin , improve  follicle  health, prevent  infection...